Lifestyle Choices

Do you know the difference between a Retirement Home and a Long Term Care Home? There are many differences. The first step in identifying senior living options is to identify what level of care you or your loved one requires. The level of care varies from minimal to full 24-hour nursing care providing assistance with all activities of daily living. To help illustrate the differences please refer to the chart below.


Retirement Home Suites

Active and Independent

  • Services of a fine hotel combined with worry-free living
  • Caregivers available 24 hours to provide health and quality of life services
  • Tailor made enhanced personal care options
  • Barrier-free floor plans designed for seniors


Long Term Care

Nursing Home

  • 24 hour Long Term Care for people who are not able to live independently
  • Eligibility for placement based on care needs, determined and arranged by Community Care Access Centres (CCAC)
  • Choice of ward, semi-private or private rooms

If you or your loved one is living alone and independent, but would benefit from meals, activities and socialization, then Bay Haven Senior Care Community may be the option that is right for you. Please contact us for more information.

If you or your family member requires more assistance, but you’re not sure how much care is needed, the best solution is to contact the Community Care Access Center (CCAC) in your area.

CCACs are independent, non-profit agencies accountable to the Ministry of Health. CCACs provide one-stop access for people who need in-home health services and support or accommodation in long term care homes. CCACs assess your needs or those of your loved one and determine eligibility for a long term care home or funded in-home health care. They also manage or arrange for the following:

  • Transition from hospital care to in-home health care
  • Admissions to long term care centres
  • Visiting health and personal support services in peoples’ homes
  • Information on retirement homes and supportive housing alternatives

To find the CCAC in your area, contact the Ontario Association of Community Care Access Centres. The Simcoe County website is located here.