Click on job titles below for more information
Registered Nurse, LTC, Permanent Part-Time
Description of the Position
The RNs are responsible for a variety of tasks related to resident care, including maintaining and coordinating communication between residents, staff, physicians and families, administering medications and documenting information.
- Current Certificate of Competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Experience in geriatric, rehabilitation, or long term care.
- Experience and/or training with RAI-MDS.
- Good leadership and communication skills.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Strong in nursing process and nursing diagnosis and critical thinking skills.
- Strong problem solving abilities; able to diffuse conflicts effectively and is solution oriented
- Initiative with comprehensive knowledge of nursing and health care practices and techniques as they relate to long term care.
Maturity and good physical and mental health, empathy, patience and tact are important qualities to possess. Computer literacy required. Minimum 1 year experience is preferred but new graduates are welcome. Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Personal Support Worker
Permanent & Temporary Part-Time, Various Shifts in Long-Term Care Home and Temporary Part Time in Retirement Home
Description of the Position
We are looking for a Personal Support Worker to work part time on the Long-Term Care side of Bay Haven. Four shifts per pay period plus call ins.
A post-secondary diploma or degree as a Personal Support Worker or other related field from a community college or university is required.
Maturity, positive personality, empathy, patience, and good physical and mental health are all important qualities to possess.
Computer literacy required.
Current Vulnerable Sector Check and References required.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Registered Practical Nurse – Casual
Maintenance Worker – Part Time
We are looking for a part time Maintenance Worker to work on both the Retirement Home and Nursing Home side of Bay Haven Care Community.
Description of the Position
• Candidate is responsible for performing general, routine maintenance, minor repairs throughout the facility, in accordance with applicable codes and regulations and as directed.
• Assists with the completion of all Maintenance Department audits, takes remedial action for identified deficits and communicates to supervisor.
• Inspects all electrical equipment brought into the nursing home prior to use.
• Communicates and works with professional contractors, (i.e. electrician, plumber, HVAC, etc.) as necessary.
• Adheres to established department policies and procedures regarding activities, safety, environment and infection control.
• Makes regular inspection of entire facility to note potential fire and safety hazards, including inspection of storage areas and areas not frequently used.
• Ensures that the exterior of the facility and grounds are well maintained. Orders supplies and equipment and ensures adequate inventory of supplies. Responsible for inventory control.
• Have a good knowledge and understanding of mechanical and electrical systems, plumbing, and carpentry procedures. Experience preferred.
• Acquire excellent problem-solving skills.
• Obtain excellent organizational skills.
• Have great interpersonal and communication skills.
• Computer literacy required.
• Current Vulnerable Sector Check and References required.
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
We are looking for a temporary cook who is willing to help cook in the kitchen for our residents at Bay Haven Care Community.
• Cook papers and/or institutional cooking experience with good working knowledge of Canada’s Food Guide, knowledge of regular and therapeutic diets and the basic principles of sanitation and food preparation. Has a current Food Handler’s Training Certificate.
• Maturity, good physical and mental health and free of communicable disease.
• Willingness to continually update and keep current their knowledge of changing procedures, regulations and practices, etc., through participation in in-house in-service education and in-house committee representation (when elected or appointed).
• Reviews regular and therapeutic menus and sets up equipment and supplies for food preparation. Prepares food following Bay Haven’s standardized recipes. Provides for prescribed diets, including variations in texture. Ensures meals are served on time, at appropriate temperatures, covered when necessary in portion controlled quantities.
In the absence of the Food Service Supervisor:
• Decides on menu changes as necessary and ensures that changes are recorded following department procedure.
• Is responsible for the efficient operation of the Dietary Department
Orders fresh produce in accordance with Dietary department guidelines. Responsible for receiving, storage and proper care of incoming supplies.
• Responsible for the clear and correct labeling of excess food in accordance with Dietary Department procedures.
• Adheres to departmental policies and procedures for department including sanitation, safety and quality assurance.
• Maintains required Quality Assurance records and daily cleaning schedules.
Is responsible for ensuring the blender, robot coupe, meat slicer, knife holder and can openers are properly washed and sanitized after each meal.
• Prepares nourishment following departmental guidelines.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Responsible for carrying out the duties of a worker under the Occupational Health & Safety Act including:
• Work in compliance with the provisions of this act and the regulations;
use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the worker’s employer requires to be used or worn.
• Report to his or her employer or supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker.
•Report to his or her employer or supervisor any contravention of this act or the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows.
No worker shall,
• Remove or make ineffective any protective device required by the regulations or by his or her employer, without providing an adequate temporary protective device and when the need for removing or making ineffective the protective device has ceased, the protective device shall be replaced immediately;
• Use or operate any equipment, machine, device or thing or work in a manner that may endanger himself, herself or any other worker; or
engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
A worker is not required to participate in a prescribed medical surveillance program unless the worker consents to do so. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 28
All employees are responsible for resident safety and attending staff development programs to increase their knowledge, skills and training related to resident safety. All staff are required to comply with the mandatory training provided as per the LTCH Act.
Opportunities for learning include; web-based, teleconferences, presentations and videos, etc. The areas of focus include but are not limited to: equipment and technology; physical environment; communication between management, staff, residents and families; resident identification; aggressive resident behaviours; reduced risk of harm resulting from falls; infection prevention and control; minimal restraint use.