Click on job titles below for more information
Registered Nurse, LTC, Permanent Part-Time
Description of the Position
The RNs are responsible for a variety of tasks related to resident care, including maintaining and coordinating communication between residents, staff, physicians and families, administering medications and documenting information.
- Current Certificate of Competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Experience in geriatric, rehabilitation, or long term care.
- Experience and/or training with RAI-MDS.
- Good leadership and communication skills.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Strong in nursing process and nursing diagnosis and critical thinking skills.
- Strong problem solving abilities; able to diffuse conflicts effectively and is solution oriented
- Initiative with comprehensive knowledge of nursing and health care practices and techniques as they relate to long term care.
Maturity and good physical and mental health, empathy, patience and tact are important qualities to possess. Computer literacy required. Minimum 1 year experience is preferred but new graduates are welcome. Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Personal Support Worker
Permanent & Temporary Part-Time, Various Shifts in Long-Term Care Home
Description of the Position
We are looking for a Personal Support Worker to work part time on the Long-Term Care side of Bay Haven. Four shifts per pay period plus call ins.
A post-secondary diploma or degree as a Personal Support Worker or other related field from a community college or university is required.
Maturity, positive personality, empathy, patience, and good physical and mental health are all important qualities to possess.
Computer literacy required.
Current Vulnerable Sector Check and References required.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Registered Practical Nurse – Casual
We are looking for a temporary cook who is willing to help cook in the kitchen for our residents at Bay Haven Care Community.
• Cook papers and/or institutional cooking experience with good working knowledge of Canada’s Food Guide, knowledge of regular and therapeutic diets and the basic principles of sanitation and food preparation. Has a current Food Handler’s Training Certificate.
• Maturity, good physical and mental health and free of communicable disease.
• Willingness to continually update and keep current their knowledge of changing procedures, regulations and practices, etc., through participation in in-house in-service education and in-house committee representation (when elected or appointed).
• Reviews regular and therapeutic menus and sets up equipment and supplies for food preparation. Prepares food following Bay Haven’s standardized recipes. Provides for prescribed diets, including variations in texture. Ensures meals are served on time, at appropriate temperatures, covered when necessary in portion controlled quantities.
In the absence of the Food Service Supervisor:
• Decides on menu changes as necessary and ensures that changes are recorded following department procedure.
• Is responsible for the efficient operation of the Dietary Department
Orders fresh produce in accordance with Dietary department guidelines. Responsible for receiving, storage and proper care of incoming supplies.
• Responsible for the clear and correct labeling of excess food in accordance with Dietary Department procedures.
• Adheres to departmental policies and procedures for department including sanitation, safety and quality assurance.
• Maintains required Quality Assurance records and daily cleaning schedules.
Is responsible for ensuring the blender, robot coupe, meat slicer, knife holder and can openers are properly washed and sanitized after each meal.
• Prepares nourishment following departmental guidelines.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Responsible for carrying out the duties of a worker under the Occupational Health & Safety Act including:
• Work in compliance with the provisions of this act and the regulations;
use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the worker’s employer requires to be used or worn.
• Report to his or her employer or supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker.
•Report to his or her employer or supervisor any contravention of this act or the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows.
No worker shall,
• Remove or make ineffective any protective device required by the regulations or by his or her employer, without providing an adequate temporary protective device and when the need for removing or making ineffective the protective device has ceased, the protective device shall be replaced immediately;
• Use or operate any equipment, machine, device or thing or work in a manner that may endanger himself, herself or any other worker; or
engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
A worker is not required to participate in a prescribed medical surveillance program unless the worker consents to do so. R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1, s. 28
All employees are responsible for resident safety and attending staff development programs to increase their knowledge, skills and training related to resident safety. All staff are required to comply with the mandatory training provided as per the LTCH Act.
Opportunities for learning include; web-based, teleconferences, presentations and videos, etc. The areas of focus include but are not limited to: equipment and technology; physical environment; communication between management, staff, residents and families; resident identification; aggressive resident behaviours; reduced risk of harm resulting from falls; infection prevention and control; minimal restraint use.
Responsible to the Recreation Manager (RM) for developing, implementing, and evaluating resident-focused programs and activities. Interacting with a varying resident population and varied work schedule that includes evenings, weekends and holidays. Working collaboratively with other disciplines/departments.
- A post-secondary diploma or degree in recreation and leisure studies, therapeutic recreation, kinesiology or other related field from a community college or university. If enrolled in a program as described above, the staff member has 3 years from being hired to successfully complete the program. Otherwise, the staff member will cease to be employed. Staff hired prior to the new Act will be grandfathered in their position of RA.
- Effective in time management, leadership, and taking initiative.
- Smart Serve Course and Proton Course certifications are an asset,
- Proficiency or knowledge in ActivityPRO documentation systems would be considered an asset
- Assists the RM in the initial and ongoing assessments of residents to determine their individual strengths and needs based on cognitive, spiritual, emotional, social and physical abilities. Under the direction of the Recreation Manager, plans, implements and evaluates a program of activities for nursing home/retirement home residents based on the individual assessments. Maintains awareness of changes in the condition or behaviour of residents to modify programs.
- Maintains a positive image of the facility through ongoing communication with resident families.
- Assists with the development of policies and procedures in conjunction with the RM.
- Participates in Staff Development Programs and stays up to date on Surge Learning modules and tests.
- Supervises volunteers/volunteens and students.
- Ensures that notices and bulletin boards are up to date and reflect the activities, programs, outings and community opportunities that are available to residents.
- Participates in Continuous Quality Improvement programs and initiatives.
- Provides visual stimulation for the residents.
- Deliver and read mail and email as necessary and keeps email contacts up to date using computer system.
- Accompany residents on outings into the community and follows home’s policies and procedures for program.
- Documents resident progress, participation and attendance using Activity PRO documentation system.
- Uses technologies within the department including iPads, Apple TV, digital signs, TVs, DVDs and computers to bring residents quality programming.
- Performs other related duties as required and directed by the Recreation Manager.